Best wireless routers
If you want to get the most out of your internet connection, then upgrading your router is a good idea. High-quality, dual-band routers feature a low-latency, high-speed attributes and can radically enhance an end user’s online experience. So, if you would like a faster wireless internet connection with fewer interruptions or if you would like to ultimately boost the coverage within your home, then it’s worth investing in a calibre router.
Below, we’ll highlight what to look for in a connectivity device and we’ll point you to the best router options in South Africa.
In This Guide:
- How to choose the right router
- What is the best router available?
- Which are the best fibre routers?
- Finding the right internet deal
How to choose the right router
Because of the internet’s ever-increasing role in a home, selecting a high-end and faultless router is becoming more important than ever before. To avoid purchasing a router that you’re not 100% happy with, we suggest you keep the following points in mind:
- Your internet speed needs to dictate the type of router speed you need. For instance, if your connection’s maximum speed is 100 Mbps, you'll need a router that can handle at least 100 Mbps.
- Know what you can afford. While it would be great to purchase the most high-end router on the market, it’s likely that this may be out of your budget. The good news is that you get some cheap internet routers that won’t cost you an arm and a leg.
- Make sure the router you have in mind will be able to support all your devices. An average-power router will sufficiently accommodate a small number of computers and phones that perform low-bandwidth operations. If you plan on gaming or downloading large files using multiple devices at the same time, then you'll need a stronger router to handle high-bandwidth operations.
- To ensure that the router you choose has the best possible performance and compatibility, make sure it mentions "AC" at the start of the model number.
- Look for models that include WPA2 encryption. In terms of security, WPA2 is the most secure version of encryption. Routers with the "AC" designation usually support WPA2 encryption.
What is the best router available?
As we've said, picking the right router really is a matter of working out what your budget and requirements are. That being said, here are 5 of the best routers on offer at the moment:
Google Nest WiFi
Average Price: R4500
Speed: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2.4 GHz/5 GHz simultaneous dual-band
Connectivity: Dual Gigabit Ethernet ports
Key Features: This model provides extensive coverage to seamlessly blanket your entire house. Each accompanying WiFi point or “Nest” is capable of handling up to 200 connected devices, and it’s fast enough to stream many 4K videos at once.
Average Price: R4300
Speed: 802.11ac 1734 Mbps down
Connectivity: 4 x Gigabit LAN, Gigabit Wan, USB 2.0, USB 3.0
Key Features: The Asus RT-AC86U offers a high-speed connection that’s suitable for large households because it significantly improves mid- to long-distance Wi-Fi coverage.
Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500
Average Price: R5800
Speed: 802.11ac 1.7GHz dual-core processor
Connectivity: 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports (4 LAN + 1 WAN)
Key Features: Neatgear’s ping and latency rates have been kept extremely low to deliver a seamless connection.
Average Price: R2900
Speed: 2.4 GHz: up to 300Mbps; 5GHz: up to 866Mbps
Connectivity: 2 x Gigabit Ethernet LAN per node
Key Features: This router allows you to upgrade without spending a fortune. It can reach every nook of your home and is more than capable of hosting multiple users at once.
Eero Home Wi-Fi System
Average Price: R7400
Speed: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2.4GHz, 5.2GHz and 5.8GHz, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2.4GHz and 5GHz
Connectivity: 2 x Gigabit WAN/LAN
Key Features: The Eero mesh router is popular because it gives you more control of your network. A single device covers up to 1,500 sq. ft. and offers unparalleled security performance.
Each of the routers mentioned in our guide has been specifically chosen based on how frequently it was suggested by the most prominent online review sites. Each recommendation came out on top or near the top of the list of authority tech websites. At the same time, we also scrutinised consumer reviews to narrow down to a curated list of the best routers available in South Africa.
Which are the best fibre routers?
When you sign up for fibre, it’s not uncommon to receive a free router with your subscription. However, the router that’s assigned to you may not be the best on the market. If you want to optimise your fibre connection, consider one of the following:
- D-Link EXO AC2600 MU-MIMO
- Synology RT2600ac
- TP-Link Archer C5400 v2
- Asus Dual-Band WiFi Mesh Router (AC1750)
- Google WiFi System
Finding the right internet deal
Of course a great router is useless without a great internet connection. To make life a little easier on that front, you can use the Money Expert comparison tool to compare internet deals as well as the South African market’s best routers. With just a click of a button, we’ll have a list of great options for you to revise – all within minutes!