How to Get DStv Now
In recent years, Multichoice and DStv have taken quite a knock with the introduction of popular TV-streaming apps such as Netflix, Showmax, and Amazon Prime to the South African market. However, they quickly found a way to keep up with the times with the introduction of DStv Now. DStv Now allows individuals to watch their favourite DStv channels online and on the go – making it a convenient alternative to traditional satellite TV. Let’s find out more.
In This Guide:
- What is DStv Now?
- What are the advantages of DStv Now?
- How much does DStv Now cost?
- Can you get DStv Now if you’re a non-subscriber?
- How to Get DStv Now
- How to Make the Most of Your DStv Now Experience
What is DStv Now?
DStv Now makes it possible for DStv customers to watch their favourite channels online. Instead of accessing programs via a decoder, viewers can use their smartphones, laptops, and other internet-compatible devices to catch up on shows or live-stream content.
To access DStv Now, you will need to download the free application. This app is compatible with most smart TVs, smartphones, and other media players (such as an Xbox or PlayStation).
DStv has been created to meet the demand of “viewing on-the-go” and to allow customers flexibility when it comes to hardware preferences.
What are the advantages of DStv Now?
Because the DStv Now app has been designed to make life easier and more enjoyable, it poses many advantages:
- The application can be downloaded to nearly any media device, so you can watch it on a screen that’s most convenient to you at the time.
- It’s free to all DStv subscribers, no matter which package you are on.
- It includes useful features such as Catch Up and an inventory of your favourite shows.
- It’s a great option for large families who like to watch separate shows at the same time. Two people will be able to use the same DStv account simultaneously on separate devices (watching different channels).
- You can register up to four devices to use on one account.
- You can access your favourite shows no matter where you are (you do not need to be near your decoder).
- The application allows you to easily keep track of your favourite shows and sports events so that you don’t miss out on episodes or games.
How much does DStv Now cost?
The DStv Now application is free to anyone who has a DStv account. Whether you are on the Family or Premium package, you will be able to access all the channels that you are accustomed to accessing via your decoder.
Keep in mind, however, that the use of the app will consume data. You will need an internet connection to stream the channels and if you have a capped line, then you may have to spend more money on data than you’re currently used to.
We strongly advise you to use DStv Now in conjunction with an uncapped internet plan. You will probably find that this is a cheaper option over constant data bundle top-ups.
Can you get DStv Now if you’re a non-subscriber?
At the beginning of 2020, MultiChoice (the parent company of DStv) announced that they have made DStv Now available to non-account holders. This means that anyone can access DStv Now for free! The catch, however, is that non-subscribers are limited to the number of channels they can access. These channels include:
- 100 – DStv
- 180 – People’s Weather
- 238 – SuperSport Play
- 313 – PBS Kids
- 320 – Channel O
- 343 – TBN
- 400 – BBC World News
- 401 – CNN
- 402 – Sky News
- 403 – eNCA
- 404 – SABC News
- 406 – Newzroom Afrika
- 414 – Euronews Now
How to Get DStv Now
The DStv Now app can be downloaded from the Google Play Store. It can also be downloaded straight from the DStv website. Whether you use the web application or mobile app to watch the content, you will first need to follow these prompts:
- Go to now.dstv.com and click on the “Sign Up” button – or, download the app to follow the same steps.
- A form will pop up requesting you to fill in your address and mobile number. You will also need to enter a strong password.
- Select “Create an Account”.
- If you are not a DStv subscriber, then select the “Skip” option at the foot of the form.
- If you do have a DStv account, then you can link your details by completing the form with your account-holder ID number and DStv customer number (or smartcard number).
- An activation link will be sent to your email inbox. Click on this link to complete the activation process.
- You can now log in to your DStv Now account and start watching online via now.dstv.com or the mobile application.
How to Make the Most of Your DStv Now Experience
For an optimal online DStv streaming experience, you will need to ensure that you have a fast and reliable internet connection. If your current connection is not up to par, then you may have to endure the frustration of watching series, movies, news, and sports games that lag or freeze altogether.
We suggest that you shop around for internet deals that are fast yet affordable. You can use our online quote comparison tool for free advice on which cheap internet plans are available to your area. This way, you can enjoy your favourite DStv channels online without avoidable interferences. Simply fill in a few details and will have quotes for you to compare within minutes.