Best laptops in South Africa 2020
Finding the perfect laptop can be difficult. We’re spoilt for choice these days with hundreds of models of varying prices in various categories. But we’re about to make your search a bit easier.
We’ve done our research and picked out some of the best laptops available in South Africa right now for different types of user. Whether you are a businessman, a student, a gamer, or just want to watch Netflix, you will find a model that suits your needs (and crucially your budget) below.
In This Guide:
- Best Laptops in South Africa
- How to Choose the Right Laptop
- What is the best internet connection for my laptop?
Best Laptops in South Africa
Acer Swift 3 (the best budget laptop)
- CPU - Intel Core i7-8565U
- Graphics - Nvidia GeForce MX150, Intel HD Graphics 620 or AMD Radeon Vega 8
- RAM - 4GB – 8GB
- Storage - 128GB – 512GB
The Acer Swift 3 is an affordable laptop that copes well with the basics. It’s reliable and is ideal for both work and study. The display isn’t the best, but you’ll still get to stream your content without lag. The backlit keyboard and roomy trackpad also make working on the go that much easier.
Dell G5 15 (the best laptop for gamers)
- CPU - Core i7 processor
- Graphics - AMD Radeon Pro 5300M – Radeon Pro 5500M
- RAM - 16 GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz
The Dell G5 features powerful GeForce graphics that make it an ideal device for gamers who are looking for a portable gaming machine. The top-class graphic card creates a smooth and vibrant gameplay experience that mimics some of the best desktops out there. Its only vice is that it’s on the heavy side.
Apple MacBook PRO (the best laptop for general use)
- CPU - 8-core with 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores
- Graphics - AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
- RAM - 64GB
- Storage - 256GB - 512GB
This one needs little introduction. If you are looking for a multifunctional laptop that will tick the boxes for both play and pleasure, then the Apple MacBook PRO will be a stellar fit. It is a little pricey but does offer good value for money. It also has a powerful battery that allows you to complete plenty of tasks in a day with one full charge.
Acer Predator Helios 300 (the best laptop for streaming)
- CPU - Intel Core i7-7700HQ
- Graphics - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060
- RAM – 16GB DDR4 RAM
- Storage – 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
The Acer Predator Helios 300 is a media junky’s dream. It boasts a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, integrated audio speakers, strong visuals, and bandwidth control capacity. These powerful features make it perfect for seamless gameplay and for streaming your favourite movies in HD.
Acer Aspire 5 (the best laptop for work)
- CPU: Core i5
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce MX150
- RAM: 8GB
- Storage: 1TB
Light and compact, the Acer Aspire 5 is 2021’s ultimate workhorse. Its slim design makes it easy to cart from meeting to meeting and its powerful processer along with extendable RAM make it versatile enough for home entertainment. As bonus features, intensive speaker plans and expanded visuals make it ideal for video and PowerPoint presentations.
HP Elite Dragonfly (the best laptop for freelancers)
- CPU - 8th-generation Intel Core i5 – i7
- Graphics - Intel UHD Graphics 620
- RAM - 8GB - 16GB
- Storage - 256 GB SSD
The HP Elite Dragonfly is a stunningly designed laptop that looks good but performs even better. Its long battery life and powerful features make it a great companion to those who work on the move. It also has LTE connectivity – a bonus! The only downfall is that it doesn’t come cheap – but if you have the bucks to spare, it’s a purchase that won’t disappoint.
How to Choose the Right Laptop
Most modern laptops are all built with key features that make them ultimately convenient. To find a model that’s best for you, you can ask yourself the following questions:
- Will I be using the laptop for gaming? If yes, you’ll need plenty of RAM and a high-performance graphics card.
- Do I need to store large files? If you plan on using your laptop to store high-res photos and HD movies, then you need to make sure that you will have enough storage space.
- Do I need to carry my laptop around often? If you are a student or a businessman who moves around for work, then you will want a laptop that’s light and compact with long battery life.
- Will my laptop be used for both work and entertainment? If yes, then it’s best that you invest in a model that is versatile with great display qualities.
What is the best internet connection for my laptop?
There are so many ways to get connected in South Africa and we understand that choosing an internet connection that’s best for you and your laptop can be overwhelming. That’s why we invite you to use our free broadband deal comparison service. Fill in our simple online quote form and we will show you a list of deals to choose from.